This is regardless of how girly or tomboyish you are. C'mon! We've seen it plenty of times on TV and in movies. Even the dorkiest-looking kid secretly hopes that the hottest guy would ask her for a dance. Or better yet, to be his prom date! We've seen it happen a million times, will somebody give me a break before I sue one of them movie directors?
Prom is supposed to be a girl's special night. Almost comparable to her wedding (pfft, as if) in fact! Every girl will look gorgeous on prom. The nerds will suddenly ninja-surprise the rest with the good looks they've been hiding so cleverly for quite a while. And for some reason, the prom queen and king will turn out to be the least expected people (usually the nerdiest/least popular). Sounds pretty fancy to me, innit?
Well, if that was a distorted portrayal of Prom, proms in Singapore would be the absolutely shattered picture. I won't complaintalk about other schools, for all I know, they may be having a genuine blast. Let's use my dearest school as an example instead.
Soooo... If you haven't already heard, our theme is K-pop. I'm surprised we didn't make it to Stomp. What's wrong with K-pop when half of Singapore is obsessed with it, right?
Wrong. Because the other half aren't a neutral bunch. We hate them nasty tunes. Okay, not exactly hate, but the fans can get too... Fanatic-ish-y?
Whatever, to each his own. BUT IT'S STILL SO DUMB TO USE IT AS A THEME
The second point I want to bring across is that we are all secretly cowards with no initiative. I hear people go like, "Oh, they didn't say you HAVE to bring a date." all the time. Fine, maybe dates for proms is a rare, rare phenomenon that only occurs in North America and England. I can believe that. (Actually, I can't)
But if you're using that as grounds to justify why you don't want to ask that special person to be your date (when you in fact have gay little dreams about that moment everyday), then you're just another coward. Don't worry, we all are. (Though I'm only one deep, deep, deep inside)
I have to make my stand clear though. It's not like you're gonna marry the girl you ask for prom (if you do though, good on ya). You may never even see her again. But you will see other ladies. Maybe not in school, but in a restaurant, or train, or toilet (if you're into that). You get my point! So why can't I claim that if you couldn't gather enough guts to ask a girl for prom, you'd never ask another girl (who's prolly gonna be a total stranger) for her name or number?
This is rather interesting though. The dudes I so dearly love (I'd seriously laugh out loud if YM reads this) gave very interesting answers. Some say that prom's lame, and it's not the same situation when you're asking a random stranger. Others say that asking a random stranger would probably lead you nowhere.
Are we to assume that we should only fall for people we KNOW properly? I mean, it does sound compelling. But is that what's supposed to happen? Let's assume a hypothetical situation in which I am really close to 3 guys. (Okay, this is almost true in reality) Let's say I complete university education and got a job at a firm with only one working male. That makes my social circuit of guys effectively numerically 4. If I don't take a chance to talk to guys out of my office, I will be left with four options for marriage *gasps* (technically, I'd have 3 options because Fauzi would rather commit suicide than marry me, double *gasps*)
Okay; in reality, there will be more than 4. But the point is, there will be a limit. You're never gonna meet someone out of your zone of comfort, and that's not necessarily healthy. Boo yeah. And we Asians always wonder why our marriages, though more stable than our Western counterparts', lack the spice they enjoy. Well, the truth is...
It all began with prom. And ended with prom.